August flew by at warp speed and I fell off the blogger bandwagon. It was a bittersweet, manic month of fun social gatherings and family emergencies. I’ll focus on the fun here.
• Todd and I celebrated four years together with a hike. It seemed only fitting since we met on the trails.
• The Twins put on an incredibly decadent dinner party for us – their old Tri Diva teammates, complete with custom glasses. Though we’ve gone our separate ways, it’s always a riot to get together!
• I’ve been trying to get more open water swims in. TriDiver rewarded me for my “bravery” with cupcakes at Sprinkles after our fun beach day workout at Little Corona Del Mar. (She spotted me doing the back stroke and gave me tips out there as we swam the buoys. That's a good friend!)
• I got a track workout in on my old high-school track in Massachusetts. This track was dirt in my day. It's amazing now. It was hot and humid, but I got ‘er done, jet lag and all.
• Finally made it back to Trail Patrol after three months off because of those darn shingles. Started back with a hike and this was my reward – an ocean view of Laguna.
On the race front:
My dear blogger pal Tawnee Prazak finished her first Ironman. You can read about her adventures in Canada here.
I traveled back to Boston and D.C. and back to California in 72 hours with nothing but my race bag. I consider that training.
• I got to see my dad.
• I got to see my best from second grade, Jean.
• And in the midst of a 22-hour day with nothing but a Clif bar and a packet of tiny pretzels all day, I got to have a much needed Bloody Mary and lobster roll at Logan Airport.